Communication involves effort from both the sender and the receiver. However it can be fraught with error, with messages being
misinterpreted by the receiver. This course aims to take the mystery out of transferring information and help you to communicate effectively.
Areas covered include how and why we communicate, how miscommunication happens, how the physical environment can affect the process,
active and listening skills, difficult situations and confidentiality and how to communicate effectively.
- Identify the different reasons people communicate.
- Explain how effective communication affects all aspects of your work.
- Explain why it is important to observe an individual’s reactions when communicating with them.
- Know how to find out an individual’s needs, wishes and preferences.
- Know when and how to seek advice.
- Identify barriers to effective communication.
- Explain the term confidentiality.
- Describe situations where information normally considered to be confidential may need to be passed on.
- How and why we communicate.
- How miscommunication happens.
- How the physical environment affects communication.
- Active listening and responding skills.
- Difficult communication situations and confidentiality.
- Communicate effectively.