Covers the aims of the Mental Capacity Act 2005, including the Deprivation of Liberty Safeguards (DoLS) and identifies the carers role in ensuring its implementation.
- Understand what the mental capacity act is and who it is relevant to.
- Recognise the five core principles that guide decisions about mental capacity.
- Identify how a person’s ability to make a decision is assessed.
- Understand the term “best interests” and how this is applied.
- Recognise the role of deprivation of liberty safeguards (DoLS) in protecting the rights of vulnerable people.
- What is the MCA?
- 5 core principles behind the Act.
- What is meant by lack of capacity.
- Promoting best interest.
- How MCA relates to other legislation.
- Communication techniques.
- The Code of Conduct.
- Consulting external professionals.